Craven County Schools
- Craven County School District
- Craven County Schools Home
YOUR FEEDBACK IS NEEDED-Remote Learning Survey
June 25, 2020
Dear Parents & Guardians,
Thank you for your support and understanding as we, as a community and a nation, continue to respond to the unexpected challenges thrust upon us by COVID-19. I am very proud of the way our students, parents, staff, and community have navigated the demands we have been faced with as we continued to educate, graduate, and feed our students during the most unusual of circumstances. We have many celebrations of success with our remote learning delivery during our school closure and as we reflect on the past few months, we also have opportunities for improvement for the new school year.
As you know, there continue to be concerns and questions related to how schools plan to reopen in August 2020. Our first priority is the safety of our students and our employees. Be assured, we have been working diligently on our Roadmap to Reopen. Because our community and state conditions are changing quickly, all of our plans are tentative and evolve daily. There is nothing we want more than to return to school as normal with enhanced safety and cleaning procedures. However, we must be planning for and preparing to respond to any circumstance we are faced with this fall.
This is the reason for this letter. We need to gather your feedback on the remote learning experience from this past spring so that it can assist us in planning for a better experience this fall. Your input will help us make the bestinformed decisions going forward. According to the StrongSchoolsNC public health toolkit, there are three possible plans for reopening schools for the 2020-2021 school year.
• Plan A: Minimal Social Distancing (all students in school at the same time)-Will be implemented assuming state COVID-19 metrics continue to stabilize and/or move in a positive direction.
• Plan B: Moderate Social Distancing (limit density in schools to less than 50% max occupancy)-Will be required if state COVID-19 metrics worsen and it is determined additional restrictions are necessary.
• Plan C: Remote Learning Only (no students in school facilities) - Will be implemented only if state COVID-19 metrics worsen significantly enough to require suspension of in-person instruction and the implementation of remote learning for all students, based on the remote learning plans required by Session Law 2020-3.
I encourage you to participate in this survey to provide us your feedback so we can consider the best learning options for our families. The link to access the survey can be found at: https://ncsu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_bHmfIzXjjQxJgSF Students in grades 3-12 will also have an opportunity to provide their feedback. The link to a student survey will be sent to them through their iPad. If anyone is in need of a paper/pencil survey, please contact your school’s principal for a copy. The survey will be open from June 25th-July 9th.
Please understand there is no way for us to please all as we make these decisions. Our priority is to keep everyone safe while not making life more difficult for our parents. Each family situation is uniquely different. We fully understand your varied concerns about health and safety, remote learning, the importance of face-to-face instruction, parents needing to work, and all of the other unexpected consequences of not being in school or returning to traditional face-to-face instruction. As we continue the Craven County Schools Road Map to ReOpen planning process, we will keep you updated. Thank you for your continued support and positivity as we strive to do what is best for ALL of our students and staff during these challenging times.
Dr. Meghan S. Doyle