Degrees and Certifications:
Master of Arts in Education
Mrs. Debbie Hunter
Hello, my name is Debbie Hunter and I have been a school counselor at Brinson Memorial Elementary for nearly 22 years. Before coming to Brinson, I was a counselor at Craven Community College. After a break to a stay at home mom with my 3 children, I returned to my career calling working with kids! I've lived in New Bern for 37 years with my husband, Randy. I graduated from Wake Forest University with a Master of Arts in Education with an emphasis in school counseling. I am truly blessed to be a part of this wonderful school!
Duties as a school counselor:
- Monthly classroom lessons that focus on social skills, handling emotions, careers, etc.
- Work with students individually on a variety of concerns and small groups for students with the same concerns such as attendance, behavioral problems, and social cues.
- Weekly lunch bunch sessions - help get to know the student.
- Advisor for KC Club (Kindess and Compassion) - do activities in the school and surrounding community to promote kindness
- Work with PBIS and MTSS to insure positive behaviors and academic success for all students.
- Monitor attedance (excessive absences and tardies) - encourage good attendance throughout the school year.