Craven County has contracted with JDS Carolinas to provide classroom and road skills driver's education mandated by the state.
The cost per student is $45. Personal Checks or money orders must be made payable to West Craven High School.
Payment ise due on the first day of class to the instructor. If you are paying with cash exact change is required.
Students must pay the registration fee on the first day of class or they will lose their seat.
Registration for classes must be done by clicking HERE (registration link will be activated on the date listed below).
To be eligible, the student's age must be 14 years 6 months on or before the start date of the class (see the class list below).
Contact Mr. Jeff Cannon Jeffcannon30@gmail.com with questions concerning the classroom portion and the behind the wheel training.
The JDS Carolinas Driver's Education program provides the students with 30 hours of classroom instruction followed up by 6 hours (per student) of Behind The Wheel (BTW) instruction. The process for determining when a student drives is based on their date of birth with the oldest driving first.
Driving times are decided by the different instructors.
Normally, during school days, driving will be scheduled from 2:30pm-9:00pm, and there will be limited openings to drive before school (6:00am-7:30am) and on Saturdays.
DRIVER EDUCATION CLASSES
The planned classes for the remainder of 2018/2019 and school year are:
- September 10-21 [MUST BE BORN ON OR BEFORE March 10 2004 TO BE ELIGIBLE]
- November 26-Dec 7 [MUST BE BORN ON OR BEFORE May 26 2004 TO BE ELIGIBLE]
- December 27-January 3 [MUST BE BORN ON OR BEFORE July 27 2004 TO BE ELIGIBLE]
- February 11-22 [MUST BE BORN ON OR BEFORE September 4 2004 TO BE ELIGIBLE]
- April 29-May 10 [MUST BE BORN ON OR BEFORE October 29 2004 TO BE ELIGIBLE]
- June 10-13, 17 [MUST BE BORN ON OR BEFORE December 10 2004 TO BE ELIGIBLE]
- July 8-12, 15 [MUST BE BORN ON OR BEFORE January 8 2004 TO BE ELIGIBLE]
Students who completed the classroom portion at West Craven High School last school year and have lost their Driver Education Certificate can contact JDS Carolinas by calling (252) 244-1220 or go to their website at JDSCAROLINAS.COM to email them (there is a $10 fee for replacement certificates)
Driver Eligibility Certificates are valid for 30 days from the date of validation. Please submit completed driver eligibility certificate to DMV before the 30-day deadline. If you know you are not going to DMV within 30 days or you are not going to be 15 years old within 30 days, please wait until you are ready to get your learner's permit before starting this process.
Students must pass 3 or 4 courses in the last semester in order to obtain a validation seal on the driver eligibility certificate. Final marks in courses are checked. Nine weeks grades are NOT used for validation. If you fail two or more courses at WCHS or you drop out of school before your 18th birthday, you will NOT get your driver eligibility certificate validated and your license or permit will be revoked by the State.
Please follow these steps in obtaining your Driver Eligibility Certificate:
After completing both the classroom and driving phases of driver's education, students need to take their driver education certificate to the main office.
- A parent and/or guardian must review and sign the certificate in the presence of the school official who will then date and seal the certificate.
- The student must present his/her Driver's Education Certificate when applying for the Driver Eligibility Certificate.
- Lost certificates must be replaced via JDS Carolinas, Inc. There is a $10 fee.