New Bern High School Navy JROTC
"Navy Trained-Marine Driven!"
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bern.bears.79
WHAT IS NJROTC?
The NJROTC program was started in 1964 by Congress. It was started to emphasize leadership development and citizenship. The NJROTC program is NOT military recruitment.
People who are successful in life, who succeed in business, industry, and education have often developed a strong sense of self-discipline, an ability to lead and motivate others, and a well-rounded character. Naval Junior Reserve Officer's Training Corps (NJROTC) teaches you self-discipline, self-confidence, and leadership skills that can help you meet life's challenges. NJROTC curriculum, instruction, and activities are designed to develop your leadership ability regardless of your career path.
MISSION OF THE NJROTC:
The mission of the program is to "instill in students in United States secondary educational institutions the values of citizenship, service to the United States, personal responsibility, and a sense of accomplishment."
To enroll in an NJROTC program, you must:
* Be a US citizen or a resident alien
* Be enrolled in the school sponsoring the unit
* Be physically fit enough to participate in the school's regular physical education program
* Agree to comply with uniform and grooming standards
* Be selected by the instructors for the program
WHAT DOES THE PROGRAM DO?
- Promotes Patriotism.
- Develops informed and responsible citizens.
- Develops respect for constructed authority.
- Develops leadership potential.
- Promotes high school completion.
- Promotes higher education.
- Promotes community service.
- Develops a high degree of personal honor, self-reliance, individual discipline and leadership.
- Provides information on the military services as a possible career.
- Provides an alternative to gangs.
- Provides an incentive to live healthy and drug-free.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF NJROTC?
- Approximately 60% of the NJROTC cadets who are graduating seniors continue to higher education.
- The NJROTC program is motivational in encouraging cadets to graduate from high school and continue to higher education offering free ACT/SAT preparation.
- NJROTC cadets are better behaved, have higher attendance, are role models, have higher self-esteem, develop positive life skills, on average have a higher GPA and graduate at a higher rate.
- Cadets learn the value of teamwork and individual accomplishments from belonging to NJROTC.
- The character education in NJROTC teaches values, principles, and self-discipline promoting positive, productive behaviors and provides a support structure that is critical not only in helping cadets avoid the use of drugs, but living a healthy and fit lifestyle.
- The program enhances the image of the military in the eyes of the community by providing a chance for success for the nation's youth.
- Cadets accepted for enlistment, who provide evidence of successful completion of at least 3 years of NJROTC are entitled to advanced promotion to pay grade E-3 upon initial enlistment in an active or reserve component of the Army, Navy, or Air Force, and pay grade E-2 in the Marine corps.
- Senior Naval Science Instructor is authorized to nominate a maximum of three eligible cadets each year to compete for U. S. Naval Academy appointments.